Tuesday, August 31, 2010

From start to finish


Many have asked me how I begin a painting. What do I look at or what inspires a piece? I thought I would share with you a small painting from start to finish. I've been wanting to experiment with southwest succulents on a small canvas and then eventually a larger one. The first thing I did was to go to a greenhouse that specialized in unusual plants, found the ones I liked and bought them. I then grouped and photographed them. I narrowed my selection down to about 10 photos. The photo above is the one that I've chosen and will use to create my 12 x 12 painting. This painting is not one that will have a story or more than one element reacting to one another but will simply focus on the shape, color and texture of these plants which I find interesting. Here we go!

No comments: