Thursday, May 27, 2010

God of the Upper World




In a post from 3-29-10 I showed just a peek of my painting in progress titled, "God of the Upper World". Well here is the completed painting. I know what most of you are thinking. What's up with the title? The Aztec and Maya people revered the Jaguar for its energy and agile abilities. So much so that they were looked upon as physical forms of great gods. The black or dark furred Jaguar, better known as a Panther, was called the god of the under world. The normal and lighter colored fur, as the one I have painted, was called the god of the upper world. The Jaguar became a symbol of royalty and bravery and Maya kings wore its pelt.

The idea and imagery for this painting developed from the following thought.

While the ancient Maya civilization was drawn to the spiritually charged relationship with the natural world they saw gods all around them in the earth, clouds, wind, crops and animals. They still cleared and took from the land and the gods as human kind always has.
In this painting the majestic Jaguar lay on his high throne overlooking the ruins and land of the once great civilization that has been re-claimed by nature and the
"God of the upper World".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think all your paintings are beautiful. Please see my paintings on my new website & blog at www.natureartist.co.uk